ALL ABOUT FITNESS
“Fitness” is a broad term that means something different to each person, but it refers to your own optimal health and overall well-being. Being fit not only means physical health, but emotional and mental health, too. It defines every aspect of your health. Smart eating and active living are fundamental to fitness.
According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Complete Food and Nutrition Guide (3rd ed.), when you are fit, you have:
- Energy to do what’s important to you and to be more productive
- Stamina and a positive outlook to handle the mental challenges and emotional ups and downs of everyday life and to deal with stress
- Reduced risk for many health problems, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes and osteoporosis
- The chance to look and feel your best
- Physical strength and endurance to accomplish physical challenges
- A better chance for a higher quality of life and perhaps a longer life, too
Why is it Important to Be Physically Fit?
People who are physically fit are also healthier, are able to maintain their most optimum weight, and are also not prone to cardiac and other health problems. In order to maintain a relaxed state of mind, a person should be physically active. A person who is fit both physically and mentally is strong enough to face the ups and downs of life, and is not affected by drastic changes if they take place.
How Can You Become More Physically Fit?
Becoming physically fit requires a change in life style as well. You will have to incorporate a regular exercise routine in your life and also eat healthier. By avoiding junk foods, fizzy drinks, bad habits like smoking and alcohol and by getting adequate amount of rest, you will be able to become physically and mentally fit. Just by eliminating all these food substances from your life, no matter how temporarily, you will allow your body to detox and become stronger. Make sure that you spend more time outdoors in the sun, and fresh air and take part in more healthy activities. Fishing, bicycling, swimming, hiking, and even playing foot ball with your kids should be a part of your physically fit lifestyle.